Grab a picnic basket, a blanket, and your family’s favorite outdoor toys and have some fun!
Archer Park – Percy Street next to the Boy’s & Girl’s Club – This park has playground equipment, a basketball court, and a small pavilion. .97 acres -In 1947 the Archer Estate donated .97 acres of land, to the Greenville School System for the purpose of constructing a school. The manager of the estate was former mayor of Greenville, Mr. George Archer. The land proved not to be large enough for school construction purposes, and was then donated to the City of Greenville for the purpose of a play area. The park area is located between Shelby, Percy, Hinds, and Johnson Streets. On June 29, 1948, the Kiwanis club dedicated a wading pool, but with the changing times, the Park Commission was not able to keep this pool supervised and the wading pool was later filled in. This area has playground equipment, basketball courts, and a pavilion.
Strange Park – Orlando Street – This park has playground equipment, and a basketball court. 3.34 acres – On January 30, 1943, Joseph E. Strange, a former president of the Park Commission, in memory of his deceased brother, John Quincy Strange, donated 3.34 acres to the City of Greenville to be used for a park and playground. This area has playground equipment and a basketball court.
Maude Bryan Park – 1240 South Theobald Street – This park has playground equipment, basketball court, pavilion, and a ball field. 4.063 acres – The property was conveyed to the City of Greenville to be used for park and playground area on July 31, 1952. This park was named for Miss. Maude Bryan, who for many years was a school teacher. This park was dedicated in 1953 by Lt. Governor Carroll Gartin. This area has playground equipment, basketball court, horseshoe and volleyball pits, pavilion, concession/restroom, and a ball field. The field is used by Greenville Dixie Youth West for the 7-8 and 9-10 year old leagues.
Leroy Barnes Park – Broadway Loop – This park has playground equipment, basketball court, and baseball field. On April 14, 1971 it was agreed that the City of Greenville swap 4.293 acres of land for 4.219 acres belonging to the school. On May 14, 1971 a motion was made by Mr. Sam Neyman, Jr. that the area now known as Leroy Barnes Park be constructed. A ball field and lights, playground equipment, and a basketball slab were built at a cost of $45,000.00 for this park. This park is named for Mr. Leroy Barnes in honor and appreciation for his working for over fifteen years with the Little League Baseball group. This area has a basketball court, playground equipment, and ball field. This field is used by the Greenville Dixie Youth West for the 11-12 year old league.
Bologna Tennis Courts – Causey Drive – This park has two tennis courts. These tennis courts were built in 1975 with revenue sharing money. They were resurfaced this past June with grant money from USTA, and matching funds from the City of Greenville. There are also two tee ball field located at this location that is used by Greenville Dixie Youth South.
Harty Park – Causey Drive – This park has playground equipment, half mile walking/jogging trail, two pavilions, volleyball and horseshoe pits, basketball court, and ball field. 13.2 acres – This Park located at Causey Drive and Fairview Street was purchased on July 21, 1910, by the City of Greenville from the Delta Fair Association, for $4,950.00. This property was purchased under the single covenant that the said tract of land would be “held maintained, and kept open by said City of Greenville for the purpose of a playground park.” The Park was named for Judge Harty, to show the city’s appreciation and recognition to a man who was a leader in the recreational activities of the City of Greenville. This park has playground equipment, pavilion, restrooms, half mile walking/jogging trail, volleyball and horseshoe pits, concession, and ball field. This field is used by Greenville Dixie Youth South for the 7-8 year old league.
Gray Park – 1126 Ed Gray Drive – This park has playground equipment and a ball field. 7.091 acres – On September 26, 1960, Quarto Sabbatni sold the area of land that is now E. M. Gray Park to the City of Greenville for $10,665.95. The park is named for E. M. Gray, a formed mayor of Greenville, and former member and first president of the Greenville Park Commission. This location has playground equipment, concession/restrooms, and a ball field. This field is used by Greenville Dixie Youth South for the 11-12 year old league.
Thomas Park – 305 Thomas Avenue – This park has playground equipment. 2 acres – In November 1948 the City of Greenville bought 2 acres of land to be used for park and playground purposes only. The park is name for Judge Emmett Thomas, former mayor of Greenville. This location has playground equipment.
Frisby Park – 1900 College Street – This park has playground equipment, volley ball pit, two regulation size basketball courts, and three ball fields. 20 acres – This property was originally purchased by the City of Greenville and given to Greenville Mills. In October 1968, Greenville Mills deeded back 20 acres of the land with the stipulation that the property be used for school and recreational purposes only. In November 1968, the Greenville Public Schools and the Park Commission swapped land, and the Park Commission received the 20 acres to construct a playground. In July 1969, this property was dedicated to one of Greenville’s well known doctors, Dr. Noble Frisby. This area has playground equipment, volley ball pit, three ball fields, concession stand, and restrooms. These fields are used by Greenville Dixie Youth North for the tee-ball and 7-8 year old leagues.
H. T. Crosby Park – Legion Drive – This park has basketball goal and playground equipment. On December 9, 1954, Henry T. Crosby donated to the City of Greenville the area of land which is now a park which bears his name. This location has playground equipment and a basketball goal.
Virden Park – Abide Drive – This park has playground equipment. 2.7 acres – On April 14, 1972, Mr. Michael Virden of Virden Homes donated this land to be used as a park site. At the time of this donation this property was located in the county and could not be developed by the City of Greenville. After being annexed in the City of Greenville, this park was developed in 1988-89. This location has playground equipment.
Hemphill/Moore Park – 999 Irene Street – This park has playground equipment, horseshoe pit, and a basketball court. On May 6, 1960 Mr. Henry T. Crosby, President of the Traders Post, Inc. sold all of lots one, two, and three of Block Seven of the Broadway Place Sub-division to the City of Greenville for ten dollars, to be used for playground and park purposes only. This location has a backstop, playground equipment, horseshoe pit, and basketball court.
Schelben Park – City Lake Front – This park is location on the lake front and has a stage for performances. This is the location for concerts and the City of Greenville 4th of July Celebration. This Park was acquired by the Park Commission on January 16, 1970. The pavilion was added in July of 1997. This location has a stage area, swings, and benches.
H. B. Theobald Park – 421 Popular Street – This area is a green space. This Park on Nelson and Popular Streets had always been known as Cemetery Park. In December 1974 the Park Commission changed the name of this park to the H. B. Theobald Park in memory of this family who had given so much to the City of Greenville.
Cypress Lane Park – Cypress Lane next to fire station – This area is a green space.
Triangle Park – Corner of Hwy 82 & Main – This area is a green space.
24 acres – On August 12, 1960 Robert O. May, President of May’s Wholesale Dry Goods Company, sold approximately 24 acres of land to the City of Greenville for $25,000.00. The neighborhood gymnasium was built in 1968. This location has a gymnasium, playground equipment, basketball court, volleyball pit, concession/restroom, and two ball fields. The fields are used by Greenville Dixie Youth North for the 9-10 and 11-12 year old leagues.